May 13, 2014

Thanks Mom!

For most of us, the first person to read us a book was our mother.   She may have read to you while you were in the womb.  She read us or told us countless bedtime stories.  As we got older, she bought the books we needed for school, or books she thought might help us out with a situation we were going through.

Now, my mom is constantly suggesting books for me to read, and giving me books as gifts.   Just this year she has given me, Guilt-free Motherhood: Parenting with Godly Wisdom by Julianna Slattery and King Peggy: An American Secretary, Her Royal Destiny, and the Inspiring Story of How She Changed an African Village by Peggielene Bartels. She has introduced me to David Baldacci and John Grisham books.  She gives my children books every time she sees them.

I can definitely say my love for reading was inspired by my mother.  I think there has only been one time in my life when she wasn't happy about my reading.  I had to be about 11 or 12 years old.  I was reading a really good book, that I didn't want to put away and go to bed.  I couldn't tell you what the name of that book is now, though.  So, she made me turn off my light.  I turned off the light and turned on the flashlight. Im not sure how long it was before she came back to my room and told me to turn off the flashlight and go to bed.  I just couldn't stop reading.  So, I took the flashlight and my book and maybe a pillow and went into my closet to read.  And I fell asleep.  The next morning, my mom couldn't find me because I was asleep in the closet!!  True story.   I wish I still had a closet big enough to curl up in and read.

So to all the mothers who have inspired us to read and to all of us who are mothers and are inspiring our children to read.  I say Happy Mother's Day!!


My Girls Readin'

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers! Share your thoughts below.