April 21, 2021

Review: Heavy: An American Memoir by Kiese Laymon



Heavy: An American Memoir by Kiese Laymon
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Published: October 2018

Heavy: An American Memoir
I read this after I read Hunger by Roxane Gay. This book really hit me in a different place. Sometimes we can forget that men can go through a lot of the same issues when it comes to their bodies as women. Kiese Laymon takes us into his life through this memoir. From living with his mother and grandmother who did their best to raise him. His mother, a professor, would frequently spend their money gambling. The author himself also becomes a professor in his adult life and finds himself following in his mother's footsteps in more ways than one.

From sexual abuse to getting kicked out of college, this book has some of everything. This is a hard book to review. I listened to this book and was totally engrossed in the story. When I read a book, I feel like a fly on the wall and I can see what is going on in the story and this story was heartbreaking. I finished this book a couple of weeks ago, but it is still sitting heavy on my heart.

If you haven't read this book, I highly recommend that you do right away.  You can read the mother's response to the book, by clicking here.

Read all My Reviews

To learn more about this book, or to order a copy click below:





No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers! Share your thoughts below.