March 1, 2019

Review: The Moroccan Girl by Charles Cumming



The Moroccan Girl by Charles Cumming
My rating: 3 of 5 stars
Published: 2019


C.K. "Kit" Carradine is a British novelist who writes books about spies and espionage. When he is approached by the Service in order to perform a task during his upcoming visit to Marrakesh, Carradine is all too eager to help out. Being a writer isn't always all it's cracked up to be, so Carradine is intrigued by this bit of excitement in his life. His task is to find Lara Bartok and deliver documents to her to help her to get out of Morocco. Carradine isn't sure who he can trust and who is working for who. Will he be successful in his mission?

Thank you to NetGalley and St. Martin's Press for the opportunity to read and review this book.

When I first received information about this book, I was quite excited to read it and find out more about this author as this is the first I have heard of Charles Cumming. Also, I haven't read too many books dealing with spies, so I couldn't wait to dive into this story. For me, I didn't enjoy this story as much as I thought I would. I couldn't connect to the characters and none of them stayed with me throughout the journey.

Kit Carradine writes about spies and he had no idea that he would become one himself. But is he up for the task at hand. Can he be the type of spy he writes about in his books. The reality is a lot different than what he puts on paper. I kept thinking that Carradine was going to end up being another character we had introduced to.  I was a little disappointed when it didn't happen.  The part I liked best about the book, that no matter the task and no matter how many reservations, Kit went ahead with his mission.  He risked his life to save that of another.

I will read other books by Charles Cumming, but this one just didn't strike a cord with me.

WhatChaReadin: Where is your favorite place to read?
Charles Cumming:  On a train or aeroplane. Whenever I try to read in bed last thing at night, I fall asleep.
WCR: Where is your favorite place to write?
CC: I have a small office in my house in London. I've never been able to get much writing done in public spaces such as cafes or libraries. I need seclusion and isolation.
WCR: Which character in The Moroccan Girl do you most identify with?
CC: Kit Carradine is a writer of spy thrillers who lives in London and occasionally gets frustrated by the routine of the writer's life. So I guess I would have to say Kit!
WCR: What is your favorite book of all time? Most recent?
CC: Probably Anna Karenina.  Most recently I read A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles which I admired enormously.


View all my reviews


To learn more about this book or to order a copy, click on the book cover below:

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers! Share your thoughts below.