March 8, 2019

February Readin' Roundup!!


In February, I didn't get through as many books as I did in January.  I think the subject matter of the books I read and listened to this month was a little heavier and so it took a little while to get through.  I finished 5 books this month.  Three were new releases, one made me cry and the other had me on the edge of my seat the entire time.   Below is a little more about each book.  Click on the book cover to order a copy of the book and click on the title for my full review.  


My Rating: 4 of 5 stars
It's Monday an Anna is checking into 17 Swann Street. Anna is a dancer, a daughter, a sister, a wife to Matthias and she has anorexia. All the girls at 17 Swann Street have some type of eating disorder. Their days are filled with scheduled meals, therapy sessions and meal planning with a nutritionist. They can't go outside or use the bathroom without permission. All this in an effort to get them to an ideal weight and BMI. Anorexia is a disease and Anna has come to 17 Swann Street to conquer it. Will she be successful?



Good Riddance by Elinor Lipman
My Rating: 3 of 5 stars
Daphne has just inherited her mother's yearbook from the class of 1968 at Pickering High School in New Hampshire. That year her mother was not only the English teacher, but also the yearbook advisor. Mrs. Maritch has gone to every reunion and each year she has added notations to the yearbook to all of the students. Daphne has no need or room for the yearbook in her small New York City apartment, so she puts it in the recycling. A neighbor who is also a budding documentarian finds the yearbook, and is determined to make a movie with her findings. When Daphne finds out a dark secret at the 50th reunion they attend, she will stop at nothing to make sure the yearbook is not made public. With family secrets around each corner, Daphne will try her best to keep her mother's legacy in tact and her father's heart from being broken.

A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman
My Rating: 5 of 5 stars
Ove is a cranky old man who has recently lost his wife. He would like nothing more than to join her in the afterlife. He has made all of the arrangements, paid all of the bills, now he just has to find the best way to off himself. But when the neighbors seem to take a new interest in Ove, his plans keep getting thwarted. Will he be able to go through with his plans or will the neighbors have other plans?



The Moroccan Girl by Charles Cumming
My Rating: 3 of 5 stars
C.K. "Kit" Carradine is a British novelist who writes books about spies and espionage. When he is approached by the Service in order to perform a task during his upcoming visit to Marrakesh, Carradine is all too eager to help out. Being a writer isn't always all it's cracked up to be, so Carradine is intrigued by this bit of excitement in his life. His task is to find Lara Bartok and deliver documents to her to help her to get out of Morocco. Carradine isn't sure who he can trust and who is working for who. Will he be successful in his mission?


Missing Pieces by Heather Gudenkauf
My Rating: 4 of 5 stars
Sarah and Jack have been married for many years, but Sarah doesn't know about all the secrets Jack is keeping. But when his Aunt Julia is injured after falling down the stairs, Sarah and Jack make the trip back to Penny Gate where Jack was born and raised and hasn't been back to since. Aunt Julia raised Jack and his sister Amy after the death of their parents. So Jack feels compelled to return to Penny Gate, even though this is the last thing he wants to do.


What books did you read and enjoy in February?  Let me know! 

Happy Reading!!



2 comments:

  1. Now you need to read other books by Backman. He's marvelous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I plan too. I just have to let the emotions of this one settle before I dive in again.

      Delete

I love to hear from my readers! Share your thoughts below.