February 25, 2021

Review: Concrete Rose by Angie Thomas


Concrete Rose by Angie Thomas
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Published: January 2021
Concrete Rose (The Hate U Give, #0)


This book is a prequel to The Hate U Give. This book tells the story of Maverick, the patriarch of the Carter family, and how he got to where he is now. At the age of 17, he is a senior in high school, a member of a gang has one child and his current girlfriend is pregnant. Hustling isn't going to work anymore in order to take care of his family.

I loved this book I think even before I started reading it. After reading The Hate U Give, I wanted to know more about the other characters in the book. Starting with Maverick, one of the most complex characters of THUG was a great place to start. I would also like to have a book about Seven and his complicated life that he lives with his parents who used to be friends but aren't any longer.

Maverick is leading a hard life, but one that is supported by a strong mother. His mother has his back through everything he goes through. She is supportive when she didn't have to be. We should all wish to have a mother like that. She wasn't really a part of THUG, but I would have liked to have seen more of her.

What do you do when you have so much on your shoulders and you aren't even an adult yourself? It's a lot for anyone to handle, let alone a child. If you liked THUG, you'll love this one.

View all my reviews

To learn more about this book, or to order a copy, click the book cover below:

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers! Share your thoughts below.