April 19, 2019

When Do You Start the Rating Process For Reviews?



So I posed a question to a group I’m in on Facebook about when you feel you know how many stars you are going to give a book.  Some people said they had to wait until the very end, some said a few chapters in, and some don’t rate at all.  

For me, when I’m about a third of the way through, I think I can get a sense of how I’m feeling. Of course that could change as I continue to read, but usually I stick with the rating at that time.  For me the first thing that goes into my rating scale is how I’m feeling while reading the book.  If I start reading, and I don’t want to do anything else, but find out what is going to happen, then the book is definitely going to be a 5 star rating for me, unless something kills it in the end.  I four star book is one that is also hard to put down, but there is just a little something missing.  Most books I rate get either 3 or 4 stars.  Three is for a book that I read, I enjoyed it mostly, but it didn’t really spark any excitement in me.  2 stars is for a book that I finish, but something is horribly wrong with the writing, like run on sentences or weird wording, something that distracted me from the overall story.  I rarely give out a one star, usually this is for books I don’t finish that I’m not going to attempt to read again.  
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

When I’m rating a book, I do take in consideration, that someone has spent days, months, and in some cases, years, trying to get their story out into the universe. I’ve tried myself a few times to write a book, but I don’t think it’s in the cards for me.  I have a few ideas, but nothing that I’ve ever sat down to formulate properly.  

So, here’s my question to you, when do you start rating your books?  Do all books start off with 5 stars and you take away as you go along?  Do you start with a blank slate and rate as you go along?  Or, do you wait until the very end and then give a rating?  Share your thoughts in the comments below.

Happy Reading!! ðŸ“šðŸ“–📰📜

5 comments:

  1. I have to admit, I'm pretty quick to choose my rating, but it does change over the course of the book, getting finalized when I read the last page. Things like writing style and the beginnings of books really make or break my ratings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very rarely do I change once I reach half way, unless something spectacular happens at the end.

      Delete
  2. No... no books start with 5 stars, ever. I am the blank slate type of person. Still, I usually know about a quarter to a third of the way though what rating a book will get - approximately. However, I often change this the further I get into a book. Of course, I'm never totally sure what rating a book will get until I've finished it totally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. None of my books start with 5 stars either. The ending is definitely the kicker, but most times I stick with my rating about half way through.

      Delete
  3. I start with a blank slate, but I start rating on the very first page. If the first page is boring and the rest of the book is fantastic, I still can't give it five stars. I'll give it a positive written review, just not the full 5 stars.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my readers! Share your thoughts below.