September 2, 2020

Review: On Earth We're Briefly Gorgeous by Ocean Vuong



On Earth We're Briefly Gorgeous by Ocean Vuong
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Published: June 2019
On Earth We're Briefly Gorgeous  


On Earth We're Briefly Gorgeous is the story of a young man, writing to his mother. His mother is Vietnamese and she herself is suffering from PTSD, but she would never admit it. The letters are to be a way of letting go of the pain since his mother is not able to read. She calls him Little Dog and is frequently abusive to him. To top it off, Little Dog is small for his age and is often teased and bullied in school. He also is gay. How do you deal with all of these things when no one wants to listen to what you have to say.

This was a deep and moving story that touched me from the very beginning. You want to reach in and just give him a hug. You just felt sorry for him. This is supposed to be a novel, but it read more like a memoir.

One of my favorite quotes from this book was "Because freedom, I am told, is nothing but the distance between the hunter and its prey." This quote hit me deeply.

If you are looking for a moving story that will grip you from the start, this is a great story!

View all my reviews


To learn more about this book, or to order a copy, click the book cover below:

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers! Share your thoughts below.