January 29, 2018

AudioBook Review: Room by Emma Donoghue

Room by Emma Donoghue
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Jack is five years old and to him Room is his entire world. He lives in Room with his Ma, Joy, and calls each inanimate object by it's name, toilet, sink, table, plant, etc. What Jack doesn't know is that his Ma was kidnapped 7 years ago and was brought to Room and hasn't left since. No one knows she is there and no one knows Jack exists. When Joy decides it's time to make a great escape, she has to tell Jack about the outside world. Up until now, he has thought everything outside of Room was only on TV. He doesn't know that there are really other people and a great big world outside the walls of Room. Will the plan Joy has mapped out work? How will their lives change if they are able to get away? What happens if they don't?

Room has been on my TBR for a very long time. I have no idea why I didn't read it sooner, I loved it. The book made me laugh and cry. I also watched the movie, which as usual was not as good as the book, but still it was a good movie.

I love that the book was told from Jack's perspective. Getting to see him learn the world for the first time is interesting and exciting. You feel for his mother and all that she has to endure just to keep Jack safe. They look forward to "Sunday Treat" from Old Nick, their capture, they move all the furniture around in the house to run track and stay healthy. Even though the TV is the only connection they have to the outside world, she still limits Jack's time on it so it won't rot his brain.

If you haven't read Room, I suggest you pick up a copy right away. Read the book and then see the movie. The only other book I have read by Emma Donoghue is Frog Music by Emma Donoghue

View all my reviews

To order a copy of Room(the book or movie) or Frog Music, click the covers below:
Book

Book
Movie

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers! Share your thoughts below.