August 3, 2015

Review--Go Set A Watchman by Harper Lee

Go Set a WatchmanGo Set a Watchman by Harper Lee
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I have been excited to read this book as soon as I heard about it.  As soon as I could, I reserved my copy at the library.  Many have questioned whether this is a sequel to To Kill a Mockingbird, or the first draft of the book, or something entirely separate.  All I can say is that I enjoyed this book and now will go back to read
  To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
.

Jean Louise Finch is 26 and currently living in New York City.  She returns home to Maycomb Alabama to visit her beau, Henry Clinton, and her father Atticus Finch.  In this visit Jean Louise "Scout" learns more about her family and the town she grew up in and especially about herself.  Scout still has her same tomboy mannerisms we all love, doing whatever she wants to do and not caring what others think.

Jean Louise is one who just sees people and not so much color.  Living in the South during this time, it's hard to make that distinction.  She thought her father was the same.  I see him as a man who vows to always do the right things no matter who the person.  Atticus and Scout get the opportunity to get to know each other as adults with their own opinions and ideas, they discover they are alike in many way and in way very different.

It's interesting to see the dynamic between a parent and a child after they are both adults.  And the child is able to think on their own and not they way their parents choose for them.  My only problem with finishing this book, is now, I want to know more.  Will Jean Louise marry Henry Clinton?  I would like to know what kind of impact she is going to have on Maycomb, AL.  And will she end up moving back there?

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers! Share your thoughts below.