May 13, 2015

A Love of Reading = A Love of Learning

Reading the Kindle while listening to a book(staged)


Last week was Children's Book Week.  With that in mind, I have been thinking about how much my kids enjoy reading.  My daughter who is 7 and in the 1st grade is currently reading on a 3rd grade ready to enter 4th grade level. Her favorite series right now is The Magic Tree House. My son who is 5 and is on the Autism Spectrum is also reading above his level.  I have one other child(4), who I am hoping will follow suit...if not, she will be my artist as her coloring is amazing

During Book Week, my oldest came home and told me something that stuck with me and inspired this blog post.  Her teacher had told her that people who read are the smartest people.  Of course that is true.  The more you read the more you learn.  You don't have to read just educational materials to learn.  There is some much to gain from almost every book you read.  Even Fifty Shades of Grey taught us to not be afraid to express who we are, right?  

I'm very thankful that we live in the area that we do.  Our school system is one of the best in the country and definitely one of the best in the state.  I love my daughter's teacher and wish she could follow her through her school career, she has a Master's in Education with a focus on reading...how wonderful.

I'm also thankful that my kids aren't too big into technology.  I know the above picture doesn't reflect that, but we staged that picture to show kids today.  They love to go to the library.  My daughter has started on a reading challenge for this summer.  Yes, I know it's a little early, but how can I stop her.  She is going to read all the books that are in her reading level from the Scholastic Parent & Child 100 Greatest Books for Kids.  We have already started on Charlotte's Web.  I can't wait to see how many she  will read and hope by the time she has entered high school, she has finished the entire list, or maybe before she leaves elementary school.

If you have children or children in your life please encourage them to read.  One thing no one can ever take from you is your education and as long as you can read, your learning has no limit.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers! Share your thoughts below.