March 6, 2020

Review: Jubilee by Margaret Walker




Jubilee by Margaret Walker
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Published: 1966
Jubilee  


Vyry was born a slave. She was born to a mother who was a slave and a father who was the Marster. When her mother died, Vyry was brought to the big house to work. She was only seven years old. She helped the cook in the kitchen and helped with her half-sister, Lillian. Jubilee follows Vyry's life and the life of those around her from the time she walks into that kitchen until she has her own family. From the Civil War to Emancipation. This book is long, but you will immediately be drawn into the story and will want more even when the story is over.

Thank you Melanatedreader and _pagesgaloree on Bookstagram for telling me about this book.

I have read many slave narratives, but this one touched me in a very different way. Vyry was very light skinned and many people, as she got older, didn't believe she was a black woman. I myself have been mistaken for Hispanic, when I lived in Texas.

Vyry was a special woman. She survived a lot in her life. She saw a lot of death, felt love and persevered through life with her strong will. I don't think too many women today could survive in times of slavery. I'm sure I couldn't.

Vyry's story is based on the author's grandmother. There were parts that really resonated with me. Like Vyry's mother had 15 children, but she died when she was just 29 years old. I remember my great-grandmother, who had over 20 children, telling us that for the first few she didn't even know how she was getting pregnant.

If you read no other slave narrative, this is the one to read.


View all my reviews

To learn more about this book or to order a copy, click the book cover below:



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers! Share your thoughts below.