November 8, 2017

Review: Helen Grace Series Books 2-5 by M.J. Arlidge

Helen Grace Series 2-5 by M. J. Arlidge
Recently, I got a copy of Hide and Seek from First to Read. I had 45 days to read the book.  Even though it was part of a series, I thought I would be able to read it as a standalone, but after a few pages, I knew that I had to read the rest of the series so that I would know what in the world was going on.  I read the first book a couple of years ago and I really enjoyed it, but hadn't kept up with the series.  So, I decided to binge read the entire series to get caught up.  Only problem that was by the time I realized I had to read the whole series, I only had 16 days left to read 5 books.  Needless to say, I didn't reach the goal, but I thoroughly enjoyed the binge.  Below are the reviews for the four books I did finish.  Helen Grace is a woman I have relished in getting to know.  I can't wait to read more of this series.  It has become one of my favorite along with The Women's Murder Club Series by James Patterson.

Pop Goes the Weasel  -- Helen Grace #3
***4 Stars***
DI Helen Grace has another case that is proving to be very difficult to solve.  Men in Southampton are being murdered and having their hearts cut out.  Who would do something so gruesome?  A prostitute who wants payback.  Getting to the bottom of this mystery will not be easy, especially with all the obstacles, twists and turns that get in the way.  But DI Grace and her team are determined to bring the killer to justice.

This book had me on the edge of my seat the entire time.  It was so good and I was so determined to finish it and find out what happened, I was reading at stoplights to and from work.

Imagine receiving a package at home or work and inside is a heart.  A real, live(well not live)human heart, cut out of someone's body and delivered to your doorstep.  Can you imagine what type of person could do such a thing?  Would your first thought be that some crazy man pulled off this stunt?  You would be wrong.  MJ Arlidge is writing about a female serial killer in this book and he does a great job with it. 

A prostitute is killing her johns that are married.  And when you find out the reason why, your jaw will hit the floor.  I wasn't sure if I wanted her to be caught or not.  With so many twists to this story, it's hard to decide who to root for. 

Thank you to NetGalley and Penguin Random House for the opportunity to read and review this book.


 The Doll's House -- Helen Grace #3
***4 Stars***
Ruby Sprackling has gone missing.  Had this been a few months ago, her family probably wouldn't have thought twice about it.   But, they had recently reconciled and Ruby was supposed to move back home.  At the same time, DI Helen Grace and her team are investigating the death of a body found on the beach.  Are these two incidents connected?  When more bodies turn up on the beach, all of which look very similar to Ruby Sprackling, the search intensifies.  Will they be able to find Ruby before it's too late?

Thank you to NetGalley and Penguin Random House for the opportunity to read and review this book. 

When starting this book, I was hooked from the start.  M.J. Arlidge does a good job of grabbing you right from the beginning.  Fasten your safety belts because it's going to be a wild ride.  Hunting serial killers is DI Grace's forte, but this case is just as complicated as the others.  Just when you think they've made a break in the case, something comes along to push them back to the starting line.  And finding Ruby is very important.  The girls on the beach showed signs of starvation and a complete lack of Vitamin D.  Ruby's life is on the brink and the longer it takes to find her, the farther the chances that she will be found alive.  Finding the killer's motivation will help DI Grace and her team to find Ruby and her captor and prevent this from happening to anyone again. 


Liar, Liar -- Helen Grace #4
***3 stars***
There are three buildings on fire in Southampton.  A home and two businesses.  The next night, the same thing happens again.  There is no apparent connection between any of these fires, so who is setting them and why?  DI Helen Grace and her team have their work cut out for them.  Not only are homes and businesses being lost, but lives are as well.  Are the people being killed the target, or just a casualty of the fire?  We have to find the culprit soon before the whole city is up in flames.

For me, this book wasn't as good as the previous book in this series have been.

In this book, Helen has a new boss, a new "man" in her life, and her career is going well.  With all these changes, its difficult to see how things could go wrong now.  But as these cases do, the clues lead to the wrong person initially and more fires happen while the police try to find out who could be doing these terrible things.

You will be surprised at the end at who the suspect or suspects are. ;


Little Boy Blue -- Helen Grace #5
***4.5 stars***

People from Helen Grace's personal life are turning up dead. But this is a part of her life that she never wanted anyone to see. Will they make a connection between her and they victims? Will she be able to find the killer before her secrets are exposed? Hang on to your hats because this book takes you on quite a journey and leaves you hanging off a cliff at the end.

Thank you to NetGalley and Penguin Random House for the opportunity to read and review this book.

This is the 5th book in the Helen Grace series, and I think this one was the best. I think getting to see such a personal side to Helen, made this book more enjoyable, as well as trying to figure out who was doing this. At first it seemed like an interesting coincidence, but as time goes on, you can see she is being framed for these murders. Each moment you think she has the person responsible in custody, we only find out that she was wrong.

This book will leave your heart racing and almost stop at the end. It was an intense book and I can't wait to read book 6.


Overall this series was really good.  I can't wait to read more.  Book six Hide and Seek is now available  And it looks like there is a book in between Little Boy Blue and Hide and Seek and there will be a book 7.


View all my reviews

Order the entire series by clicking the book covers above or the image below:

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers! Share your thoughts below.