November 13, 2017

Review: Fierce Kingdom by Gin Phillips

Fierce Kingdom by Gin Phillips
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Joan and her son Lincoln are enjoying an afternoon in the zoo. As closing time approaches and they are gathering their things to leave, shots ring out. As Joan finds a place to seek refuge and try to keep Lincoln calm and quiet, she's never sure if the sounds she hears are nature or the shooters. Hiding out in an empty porcupine exhibit seems like the perfect idea, until the darkness comes and Lincoln has to eat. He's only four years old and trying to hold off the hunger for too long is nearly impossible. Spanning three grueling hours, Joan and Lincoln try to survive and make it out alive.

I have heard a lot of rave reviews about this book. For me, it was just alright. Even though I made it through the book quickly, I felt myself skipping over parts and then having to go back and read it again.

I don't know what I would do if I was out with my kids and gunfire broke out. Which, unfortunately in this day and age, can happen at any time and anywhere. Whether it be a movie theater, church, a concert, your school, or with your kids at the zoo.

While Joan and Lincoln are hiding, Joan thinks of all things past and present that have gotten her to this exact moment in time. These thoughts help Joan to stay calm during this dire situation. She even sees the gunmen and is able to text her husband that there are two of them to share with the police. But when the hiding place has to be abandoned so that Joan can feed Lincoln in order to keep him quiet, the excitement starts and it's a fight for survival. And the consequences of each action are apparent. Join Joan and Lincoln on their journey to survive when survival seems next to impossible.



View all my reviews

Order a copy of this book for yourself, by clicking the cover below:

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers! Share your thoughts below.