November 7, 2017

Review: The Boyfriend Swap by Meredith Schorr

The Boyfriend Swap by Meredith Schorr
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Robyn and Sydney are similar in many ways. They are both successful in their careers. Robyn is a music teacher and Sydney is a lawyer. They both have boyfriends that are very attractive. They also both don't want to take the boyfriends home with them for the holidays. For Robyn, her family is tired of seeing her with artsy men who have no future. For Sydney, she is tired of her father monopolizing the holiday with shop talk. The holidays are supposed to be fun, not judgmental and hostile. So, even though they've just met, Sydney comes up with brilliant idea, swap boyfriends for the holiday. It's just a few days, what's the harm? When Robyn finds out Sydney is dating her childhood crush, will she be able to hold it together? And how will her family handle this? Is this swap really such a good idea?

Thank you to Meredith Schorr, NetGalley, and Henery Press for the opportunity to read and review this book.

First of all, I'm not sure this is something I would have ever been able to do. To trade boyfriends at all, but with someone I don't even know. I'm not sure it would work out for me. It's been a while since I've read a book quite like this. It was cute and quirky and I can easily see this being made into a movie.

Robyn's Story
For Robyn, whenever she brings home a guy who is good to her, she has fun with, and is artsy like her parents, they let her know that he is not the right guy for her. She needs a guy with a steady job someone with a 401K and a savings account. Robyn and her boyfriend Perry have been together for almost a year, and they have a lot of fun together. But is he really, "The One"?
Bringing home Will is going to shock the hell out of her family. He was her childhood crush and now he's pretending to be her boyfriend. Will she be able to keep up the farce over the few days they spend with her family or will the secret be revealed before it's even started?

Sydney's Story
Sydney has to bring home a date for Christmas. If not her parents will try to set her up with some hideous guy she would never be interested in, but would be good for business. And she doesn't want to bring home Will. Will is a lawyer just like Sydney, and like Sydney's father. If she brings him home, all her father will do the entire time is try to recruit him to their law firm, and Sydney doesn't want to subject him to that. She also likes keeping her personal life to herself.
When Sydney brings Perry to the family dinner, she is surprised at how well her family likes him. This was not how she had planned this to go. And then when Perry deviates from her script, it makes things even worse. Will they be able to make it through the holiday without killing each other.

This book was a funny, romantic read that had me routing for one character to the end. This is the first book I have read by Meredith Schorr, but it won't be my last. I look forward to reading more of her books.

Author Q&A--Three is my favorite number so I asked the author three questions:

Me:  Where is your favorite place to write?
Meredith: My favorite place to write is a coffee shop called The Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf.  There used to be one right next to my apartment building and I wrote four books there.  It closed last year and I'm currently "dating" other cafes to find the right fit.

Me: What is your favorite book of all time?
Meredith: Omg, I don't know how to choose! So many! In my genre, I'll go with Attachments by Rainbow Rowell, The Hating Game by Sally Thorne, The Cinderella Deal by Jennifer Cruise, and The Perfect Match by Kristan Higgins. Too hard to choose just one.

Me: Which character do you most identify with, Robyn or Sydney?
Meredith: I would say I'm not as sweet as Robyn and not as aggressive as Sydney.  I'm more sensitive to the feelings of others and less bold than Sydney, but I have my aggressive, bitchy moments more than Robyn.  A little of both.

View all my reviews

To order a copy of The Boyfriend Swap click the book cover below: **ONLY $2.99 for Kindle**


Check out Meredith's Favorites as well:

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers! Share your thoughts below.