May 30, 2018

Audiobook Review: The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult

The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Published: 2013


So apparently I have read this book before, but I don't remember it at all. I love Jodi Picoult's books and I love how they touch on subjects that are hard for us to hear about. The Storyteller is no different. Set in New Hampshire, it tell the story of Sage Singer. Sage is a Baker for Our Daily Bread and works at night so she doesn't have to be seen by many people. You see, Sage has a scar on her face from an accident and she can't see herself past the scar.

Sage is also in a grief group and has been since she lost her mother 3 years earlier. There is where she meets Joseph Weber. Joseph doesn't say much during the group, but when he shows up at the bakery just before Sage is about to start her shift, they strike up a friendship. Then Joseph asks Sage to do something that she can't imagine. When he tells her why, her feelings are mixed about what she should do. Joseph was an SS Officer for the Reich during WWII and Sage's family is Jewish. Joseph is a beloved member of the community so trying to match that person with someone who would have done so much evil in the world is hard for Sage to grasp.

Sage's grandmother had been at Auschwitz and she had never told her story to anyone, but when Sage has this decision to make, her grandmother is forthcoming with her times in Germany and how she survived. Will Sage be able to honor Joseph's request after hearing her grandmother's story, or will she leave Joseph for the authorities to take care of?

I loved this story and I don't recall any parts of it, so I'm kind of glad this is a re-read for me. This story made me want to cry several times. Most of us know the story of the Holocaust, but to hear a first hand account(even if it is fiction) really makes you feel most invested. This book makes you think, what would I do if I was in Sage's position? Would I go through with what Joseph wanted me to do? There are so many things to consider with this situation. Should she tell her grandmother that she sits next to an ex-Nazi officer during grief group? Does her grandmother know Joseph already and not realize who he really is?

If you haven't read this book you should. If you haven't read any of Jodi Picoult's books you should. She is one of my favorite authors and here is another book of hers that did not disappoint.

View all my reviews

To order a copy of this book for yourself, click the book cover below:

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers! Share your thoughts below.