February 19, 2015

Review--The Barefoot Queen by Ildefonso Falcones

The Barefoot Queen: A NovelThe Barefoot Queen: A Novel by Ildefonso Falcones
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Finally, I have finished this book.  It has taken me over a month to read it, which is a record for me.

Caridad is a Cuban slave.  She is being brought to Spain by her master when he dies on the ship.  After arriving in Spain she is given her freedom papers and then she has to try and find a new life for herself in a place where she knows no one.  Only in Spain a few days, Caridad meets an old gypsy named Melchor.  He brings Caridad home with him to be a companion for his granddaughter, Milagros.  But who is she really there to be a companion for.  The girls become fast friends.  But no longer a slave and far from gypsy, Caridad is not sure exactly how she should or would fit in.

Follow Caridad on her journey through Spain to find all the things she never had; freedom, friends and love.

This book took a long time for me to read.  There were days that I didn't even pick the book up.  The story as a whole was very interesting and I know a lot more about gypsy law than I ever thought I would.  Family is everything to them and they will let nothing come in the way of that.  While Milagros and Melchor were welcoming to Caridad from the beginning, it took the rest of the family some time to do the same.  They all learned from each other.  This book spans over many years and you get to see how Caridad learns to embrace her freedom.  There are lots of trials and tribulations for her along the way.  How Milagros grows from a love-struck teen to an adult with a daughter to care for.  Melchor on the other hand is an old gypsy who really only learned one thing.

This is a very good book with strong characters.  I just wish it hadn't taken me so long to read.

"I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review."


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers! Share your thoughts below.