July 18, 2016

Review--The Guest Room by Chris Bohjalian


The Guest Room by Chris Bohjalian
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Richard and his younger brother, Philip could not be more different. Even so, Richard decides to use his home for his brother's bachelor party. Knowing how Philip and his friends are, he expects that this will be a wild party, but out of respect for his wife and child, he hopes it doesn't get too terribly wild. So when two strippers show up with their two bodyguards(apparently they're supposed to keep the men in check)this does not alarm Richard. What does alarm him though, is how young they look and the things Philip are doing with them even with the bodyguards present. When the girl, named Sonja jabs a knife into the neck of one of the bodyguards, all of the men are in total disbelief. Even more shocking are the two gunshots heard after. Sonja along with the other stripper/dancer/call girl, Alexandra, make their escape in the truck they arrived in. Richard is left with two dead men in the middle of his living room and a lot of explaining to do to his wife, Kristen.

The Guest Room will have you quickly turning pages to determine what is going to happen next. Told from two perspectives, third person narrative giving us the story as it unfolds through each character and first person narrative, told by Alexandra in which she tells her entire life story including the fateful night where her life changed forever.

I have read two of Chris Bohjalian's books previously. I was first introduced to his writing through a book club selection of Midwives. After that I added all of his books to by TBR. So far, this has been my favorite, but I'm just a juvenile in reading his books. This book had me go through a whole host of emotions. At the end, I cried. This is an amazing book that everyone will enjoy. One of the best books I have read this year.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers! Share your thoughts below.